Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Totaly Money Makeover


So I was introduced to a book called Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. I'm usually not a fan of self help books, but his book really hit the spot. I recommend it to anyone. For the $17 cost, it's entirely worth it. His book is all about the down-to-earth wisdom of getting out of debt, and how to stay out of debt.

His book doesn't contain any secrets. Nor does it contain any special financial products or services. It's just plain reason. He explains the fallacies and myths that a lot of people believe in. And he explains the simple plan of getting and staying out of debt.

In all my 28 years, I have never kept a budget. Never. I never thought I really needed one. But this week I will create my very first budget and I will keep it. I have come to the realization that I need to take control of my spending and focus my money on staying free from financial bondage. One thing that I really like about this book is that the ideals taught in the book are the same ideals taught by the Church. So after having read his book, I look forward to taking control of my financial future.

3 comments:

  1. IRONIC! Ryan and I are doing this same thing. We got the book 2 weeks ago and have since paid off one car and will have the other paid off in two months. Then we will tackle students loans and mortgage.

    I have been telling everyone about this- I wish we would have found it sooner! It is BRILLIANT.

    So Ryan and I are living on "beans and rice and rice and beans" to pay off everything.

    Dave Ramsey is coming to Colorado pretty soon, he may be stopping in Utah too. You should look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last note was from carly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went to Dave's site to get tickets to his show, and it won't take credit cards. It says "Visa Debit Card, Mastercard Debit Card" and "bank draft."

    I thought that was really funny.

    ReplyDelete